My Books

Saturday, February 26, 2011

What Makes You Pick a Book Off the Shelf?

With so many great books out, how do you decide what you're going to read next?

I went to Borders a few weeks ago with a $50 gift card and quickly found that it didn't take long to spend it, and then some. My problem was there were so many wonderful books to choose from. I know, it's a great problem to have. I, of course, do most of my shopping in the YA section. I swear, every time I go into Borders the section gets bigger...which is fantastic, but along with abundance comes a more difficult choice -- what to pick?

Btw - I just told my husband my blogging question, "What makes you pick a book off the shelf?" and he said, "My hand, my eyes, coordination." He SO doesn't get it, lol! :)

Okay, back to Borders -- I knew I wanted a few books, such as Delirium, The Hunger Games & Vampire Academy, based on recommendations from my favorite book bloggers and fantastic critique partner. After that, I was like a kid in the candy story. Everything was so sparkly and pretty.

The first thing that attracts me to books is the cover. For example, I scooped up Paranormalcy -- it has a gorgeous cover. I immediately wanted to read it based on the name and the cover alone. After I'm wooed into picking up a book, I read the blurb. There are so many great books that I don't even bother to read the first few pages anymore. Recommendations, the title, cover and blurb are all key factors in what books I choose and which ones I save for a later date. My to-be-read list is VERY long!

What about you? What makes you pick a book off the shelf? Or, for you electronic readers, how do you decide what you're going to read next?

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

Cheers!
T. H. Browning

5 comments:

  1. Lately I've been going to the bookstore with specific books in mind. But I always wander too. The cover usually grabs me first, especially the color, and then I look at the title. If it's something that interests me, I'll flip it over and read the back. If it takes too long to describe the world it's set in, then I put it back. LOL But if the characters sound interesting, or I like the plot, then I keep it!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I agree -- the characters are SO important. Are the characters "people" I can relate to, and if not, am I intrigued enough to care about what happens to them?

    Thanks for your comment <3! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recommendations, genre, and cover appeal. Also, it should be part of a series.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I love reading books in a series. I get immersed in the characters and want to read MORE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover definitely snags me. After that the blurb and I always open it and read the first few paragraphs. If it suck me in that short a time, it goes home with me.

    ReplyDelete